Chicken and Dumplings is a classic comfort food dish that warms the soul with its hearty and satisfying flavors. This dish has been a staple in American cuisine for generations, and its simple yet delicious combination of tender chicken, savory broth, and fluffy dumplings makes it a favorite among many. Whether you’re looking to cozy up on a chilly evening or simply craving a taste of home, Chicken and Dumplings is a timeless recipe that never disappoints.
Ingredients You’ll Need: For the Chicken:
- 2 to 2.5 pounds of bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 8 cups of chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Dumplings:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 3/4 cup milk
- Fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- Prepare the Chicken: Start by seasoning the chicken pieces generously with salt and pepper. In a large, heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven, heat a bit of oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces, skin-side down, and cook until they turn golden brown, about 5-7 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the pot and set it aside.
- Sauté the Vegetables: In the same pot, add the chopped onion, garlic, celery, and carrots. Sauté the vegetables for about 5 minutes or until they become slightly tender and aromatic.
- Return Chicken to Pot: Place the browned chicken back into the pot with the sautéed vegetables. Pour in the chicken broth, add the bay leaves, and bring the mixture to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer for about 30-40 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Prepare the Dumplings: While the chicken is simmering, make the dumpling dough. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the cold butter using a pastry cutter or your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add the milk and stir until just combined. Be careful not to overmix; the dough should be slightly lumpy.
- Add Dumplings to the Pot: Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the pot and shred it into bite-sized pieces, discarding the bones and skin. Return the shredded chicken to the pot. Increase the heat to medium-low, and drop spoonfuls of the dumpling dough into the simmering broth. Cover the pot and let the dumplings cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until they are puffed up and cooked through.
- Serve: Once the dumplings are done, remove the bay leaves and discard them. Taste the broth and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper as needed. Ladle the chicken and dumplings into bowls, garnish with chopped fresh parsley if desired, and serve piping hot. Enjoy your comforting bowl of Chicken and Dumplings!
This homemade Chicken and Dumplings recipe is sure to delight your taste buds and warm your heart, making it a perfect dish for family gatherings or quiet nights at home.
Join our community on social media!