Savoury scones are a delightful twist on the classic, sweet scone. Packed with savory flavors, these baked goodies make for a perfect accompaniment to soups, salads, or enjoyed on their own. The simplicity of the recipe allows for easy customization, making it a versatile addition to any meal.
Why we love this recipe:
The beauty of savoury scones lies in their versatility. Whether you’re a cheese lover, herb enthusiast, or someone who enjoys a kick of spice, this recipe can be tailored to suit your taste buds. Quick to make and even quicker to disappear from the plate, these scones are a savory delight that brings joy to any gathering.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, or chives), finely chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the cold, cubed butter to the flour mixture. Using your fingertips or a pastry cutter, incorporate the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the grated cheddar cheese and chopped herbs.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture and pour in the milk. Gently mix until just combined, being careful not to overwork the dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and pat it into a 1-inch thick round.
- Use a round cutter to cut out scones from the dough and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the tops of the scones with the beaten egg to give them a golden finish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until the scones are golden brown and cooked through.
- Allow the savory scones to cool on a wire rack for a few minutes before serving.
- Experiment with different cheese varieties for unique flavor profiles.
- Customize the herbs to suit your preference.
- Serve warm with butter, cream cheese, or your favorite dip.
Can I freeze the scone dough?
Yes, you can freeze the scone dough. Shape the dough into rounds, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap, and store in the freezer. When ready to bake, simply thaw and follow the baking instructions.
Can I make these scones ahead of time?
Absolutely! Prepare the dough and cut out the scones ahead of time. Refrigerate them on the baking sheet until ready to bake.
Savoury scones are a delightful addition to any meal, offering a perfect blend of flakiness, cheesiness, and herbal goodness. Simple to make and even simpler to enjoy, these scones are sure to become a savory favorite in your recipe repertoire