Scalloped potatoes are a beloved comfort food dish that never goes out of style. Creamy, cheesy, and perfectly seasoned, they make for a mouthwatering side dish that complements any main course. Whether you’re hosting a family dinner or a special occasion, these best scalloped potatoes are sure to impress with their rich and indulgent flavor. Follow this step-by-step recipe to create a dish that will have everyone coming back for seconds.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- 4 large russet potatoes, thinly sliced (about 1/8 inch thick)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish, optional)
1. Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9×13 inch (23×33 cm) baking dish and set it aside.
2. Slice the Potatoes: Wash and peel the potatoes if desired, then slice them thinly using a sharp knife or a mandoline slicer. Make sure the slices are approximately 1/8 inch thick. Place the sliced potatoes in a large bowl of cold water to prevent them from browning while you prepare the sauce.
3. Prepare the Cheese Sauce: In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and sauté for about 1 minute until fragrant. Stir in the flour and cook for an additional minute, stirring constantly, until it forms a paste (a roux).
4. Add the Cream and Seasonings: Gradually pour in the heavy cream while whisking constantly to avoid lumps. Continue to cook and whisk until the mixture thickens, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the salt, pepper, dried thyme, and ground nutmeg. Remove the saucepan from the heat.
5. Layer the Potatoes and Cheese: Drain the sliced potatoes and pat them dry with a clean kitchen towel. Arrange a layer of potato slices in the greased baking dish, slightly overlapping them. Pour a portion of the cheese sauce over the potatoes and sprinkle with a mixture of cheddar and Parmesan cheese. Repeat this process, creating several layers until you run out of potatoes. Reserve some cheese for the top.
6. Bake to Perfection: Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes. Then, remove the foil and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown, and the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
7. Serve and Garnish: Once out of the oven, let the scalloped potatoes rest for a few minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley if desired. Serve hot, and enjoy your delicious homemade scalloped potatoes!
These creamy, cheesy scalloped potatoes are a true crowd-pleaser and a perfect addition to any meal. Be prepared for compliments and requests for seconds when you serve this classic comfort food dish.
Craving more culinary delights? Click on the links below to explore additional tempting recipes that will surely tickle your taste buds.
Join our community on social media!
Enjoyed this delicious recipe? Share the love with your friends and family by clicking the share button below. Good food is meant to be shared, and your culinary discoveries can brighten someone else’s day!